Monday, November 21, 2011

Hardwood Milling Operations Complete


I am pleased to report that the sawyer (Steve Leete) has completed the hardwood milling operations in its entirety. As I reported in my last post, the poplar species was the final hardwood species to be processed. The total volume of poplar that was milled was 1,540 BF. The Total Volume of Hardwood that was processed is 7,798 BF. See the above matrix for the recap of lumber volumes itemized by hardwood species. A quick review of tis matrix will reveal a positive yield of approximately 20%. This case study validates my hypothesis that the process employed by FSS to turn land owner logs to lumber is sustainable and profitable.

As reported in my last post, there were approximately (22) hemlock logs that needed to get transported from the farm to the sawyer. Last week, I contacted a local logger who has his own cherry picker on his truck and he was able to transport all of these logs in a single trip. This approach eliminated several trips that would have been required by dad to get the logs to the sawyer. Again, these hemlock logs will be processed into rafters and siding (board & batten).

By my next post I am hoping to unveil the official Foster Sustainable Solutions website.

No comments:

Post a Comment